4 Medium Sized Skinless Boneless Chicken Breast
1- 16 oz jar of salsa (I use Pace Brand)
3 TBSP Olive Oil
1 TBSP Chili powder
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
2 TSP Cumin
2 TSP Ground Coriander
2 TSP Adobo Seasoning
2 TSP Black Pepper
Salt to Taste
1/4 cup Chipotle in Adobo Sauce Diced or Pureed
- Add oil to the pot and place the chicken in a single layer.
- Mix to the spices EXCEPT the salt in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of the chicken. (Do not add salt at this point because the adobo seasoning has salt in it. Adding salt now will make the tacos too salty).
- Add salsa over the chicken. At this time, you can add the chipotle if you like a smoky, spicy flavor. Chipotle peppers are smoked and dried jalapeños. Adobo sauce is a tangy purée of tomato, vinegar, garlic, and some other spices. This adds a lot of flavor.
- Set the instant pot to high pressure and cook for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes, follow the instructions on the instant pot and depressurize before opening.
- There will be plenty liquid in the pot take some out about a cup or so. Shred the chicken with 2 forks. Taste the chicken and add additional salt at this time if it needs it. You can always add the liquid from the cooking process back after shredding the chicken. (I add it back when I save the chicken for leftovers).
- Serve with minced cilantro and pickled red onions in a corn tortilla.
-You can make the chicken without the chipotle peppers. After cooking and shredding, take some of the chicken out and add the chipotle peppers to half the chicken in the pot and mix. This way you can have two different flavors.
-You can also use the shredded chicken for nachos.
-If you do not have an instant pot, you can cook the chicken in a slow cooker on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
-You can use a taco seasoning mix to make it even easier. I just like being able to control the spices and I have them on hand all the time.